How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Winter In Honolulu, HI
Is Your Volkswagen Car Ready For Winter?
With winter coming, driving to family holiday events becomes a necessity again. Even though Honolulu, HI normally has mild winters, it is still a good practice to make a few winter checks to prepare for the changing weather. Completing these vehicle checks will ensure your Volkswagen runs at its best and helps you avoid getting stranded while travelling.
Check Your Tires
- Check your tires for uneven tread wear and optimal tire pressure.
- If any of the tires are lacking in air, refill appropriately and keep an eye on the tire to make sure you don't have a small air leak.
- If your Volkswagen vehicle has low tire tread, you should think about replacing your tires before winter.
- All-season tires will suffice in Honolulu, HI.
Test Car Battery Levels
- In case the battery is low, you can attempt charging it, but make sure the battery holds a charge.
- Check battery terminals for any corrosion. If there is corrosion on the terminals, clean them thoroughly.
- Check battery fluid level. If the fluid is low, then add distilled water.
- Generally if the battery is more than 5 years old and shows signs of weakness, Honolulu Volkswagen suggests replacing the battery with a new one.
Complete An Auto Fluid Check
- Look at your oil and oil levels. If it's low or if it has been 5,000 miles since your last oil change, consider changing your oil.
- Common winter multi-viscosity oils to use are 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30.
- Check your anti-freeze levels. If you're refilling, try to sustain a 50/50 ratio of water and antifreeze.
- Check your car's windshield washer fluid. If it's low, refill it.